NEET is the only national level exam for admission in MBBS, BDS, AYUSH, Veterinary, etc courses in India.
The National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET), formerly the All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT), is the qualifying test for MBBS and BDS programmes in Indian medical and dental colleges. It is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
Before NTA, which is an independent autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organisation, the test was conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The examination, which offers 90,000 seats in MBBS and BDS Colleges of India, is conducted in the month of May every year.
A candidate who wishes to study medical courses needs to have Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Biotechnology as their compulsory subjects in Class 10th and 12th and must have passed these subjects. The candidate has to show their passing certificate at the time of the counseling round. Marks in Mathematics are not considered in NEET-undergraduate exam (NEET-UG).
Other than undergraduate courses, NTA also administers NEET post-graduation (NEET-PG), an eligibility-cum-ranking examination prescribed as the single entrance examination for admission to various MD/MS and PG diploma courses.
The NEET exam is conducted online and in 11 languages — English, Hindi, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Marathi, Urdu Bengali, Telugu, Kannada, and Assamese. The duration of the examination is three hours and a candidate needs to answer 180 questions. The exam paper is divided into three sections — Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Botany and Zoology).
As soon as NEET results are announced, NTA declares the counselling process too. The schedule for NEET counselling gets uploaded on the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) website.
NEET 2021 Exam Pattern
NEET 2021 will be conducted in offline mode i.e. pen-paper based mode only. Students will have to mark their responses on an OMR sheet.
- Total Sections in NEET 2021 – 3 sections i.e. Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Botany and Zoology)
- Mode of Examination – Offline i.e. Pen Paper Mode
- Type of Questions – MCQ type only
- Total Time Duration for Exam – 3 Hours
- Negative Marking – Yes; 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer
- Marks for Correct Answer – For each correct answer, 4 marks will be awarded
- Total Number of Questions – 45 questions are assigned to Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology, each.